2005/02/16: The 0.4 version (codename «valentin») is out.
The browsing part can now be used through apache!.
What is médiArchiver ?
As you have maybe guessed it, médiArchiver is a média archiver :).
You can use it to catalog you stacks of Audio CDs, MP3^M^M^MOggs, CDRoms, DVDs, and also your USB key, PDA, hard-drive directories, ...
Why another one ?
Yes, there is a lot of cataloguers: gtktalog, fas, discDB, aarchives, ...
Until now, I used Gtktalog, but it's really too slow with large databases (note that I have an old PII 233, maybe this explain that). So I wrote mine.
But what are the advantages of using médiArchiver ?
- fast informations retrieving
- storage of files meta-datas (songs title/author/album, but also images exif tags, and much more others. Furthermore, it is highly adaptable into source files)
- you can share you catalogs with you friends through the web
How does it work ?
médiArchiver is entirely written in Perl (what a tremendous language :),
but make (temporary) use of external programs.
Note that collected datas are stored in a MySQL Database.
- you retrieve datas from médias using a CLI interface
- you browse stored informations into your favorite browser (a lightweight web server come with médiArchiver, so you don't need to install Apache on your personal station :)
The screenshots, where are the screenshots ? I want screenshots !
Ok, ok,. here are they! (click on pictures to see it in fullscreen)
- List view: listing the content of a directory
- Media informations: by pointing onto a media name, a "popup"
box appear with detailed informations (don't be afraid, it is CSS
- File details: You can see jpeg and exif meta-datas from this
picture taken with my Digital Camera.
Note that the thumbnail is also retrieve from the file
- File details of an HTML document, and with the
navigation bar (on the right-top).
Icons are from:
Web design is inspired from the nasgaia distribution website.
What is required to make it work ?
Firstly, you need Perl. Mine is 5.8.2 version
(but it maybe works with lower versions).
Some extra perl librairies are also required, as HTML::Mason.
You also need extra programs if you wan't to retrieve meta-datas from files (such as Id3tags for mp3s): mp3info, ogginfo, pdfinfo, unzip, ... But only two are strictly required: which and file.
Then finally you must have mysql or sqlite to store datas.
Where could I download it ?
Here is the list of all the releases:
Send me an e-mail if you have any problem!
What for the future ?
Well, well, well.
The first goal is to have a functional version with:
- CDRoms, Audio-CDs and directories files retrieval
- medias & directories browsing
- basic search (by file name, mime type, size, date)
And then ?
- extended search (by meta-datas)
- allow private & protected access via HTTPS/password (allow sharing through internet)
- use perl code instead of calling external programs to parse meta-datas
- manage more file types/meta-datas
Do you intend to make a usual GUI ?
No, I don't intend to. But maybe a plugin for Gtktalog (or other GUIs) would be possible!